Satellite
  • Day 128

    Bridgetown, Barbados

    April 24, 2015, Caribbean Sea ⋅ ☀️ 81 °F

    The Barbados have always held a special interest for me as my Father visited here when I was a child and spoke very highly of it. He always enjoyed Mt. Gay rum and after touring the distillery and sampling some of the rums, I think this is where he began to like it!
    We had a great taxi tour of the island and were surprised at the development we saw. There were some large houses, resorts and golf courses, but the more traditional houses we saw were almost more interesting. There are many “shutter houses” which were houses that workers would build, but could pick up and move if they went to another job. Sugarcane is and has been a big industry here on the island for many years.
    The Mt. Gay distillery was an interesting stop. All the bottles of Mt. Gay rum come from this one small distillery and are hand-bottled.
    We enjoyed the day in a more familiar environment than we have been used to in the past months and are trying to make the most out of our last few ports on our journey.
    The first photo is the Caribbean side of the island.
    The second photo is the Atlantic side of the island.
    The third photo is rum-tasting at the Mt. Gay distillery.
    Read more