Satellite
  • Day 19

    Port Fairy and Tower Hill

    November 11, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    On Thursday, we travelled over to Port Fairy from our place at Warrnambool. Port Fairy is often considered the most beautiful little town in Southern Australia. Many buildings are quite old and quaint. We walked along the waterfront and had quite a chat with a lobster fisherman getting ready for a new season to start next week.He was mending traps, which look quite different than ours in Canada. He was a philosopher with strong opinions about how Australia is going steeply downhill. Another couple had engaged him in conversation and we just listened in. That couple both work in the car building industry. She has already lost her job and his is ending soon. They were telling us after that the whole industry is shutting down, affecting 50,000 workers with all the spin-offs. We had heard that there is a lot of distrust with the present PM and government, but this was new to us. Interesting stuff.
    We went later to a wildlife refuge situated on a very old volcano rim. Whoopee! We saw another koala up close. He did a yawn and stretch for us. There were emus wandering around too. I don't think we will ever get tired of viewing the amazing animals of this country.
    Read more