Satellite
  • Day 5

    Pergamon

    March 9, 2020 in Turkey ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    Canakkale - Troy Tour - Pergamon Tour - Kusadasi (approx. 400km day)

    Today we visited the famous archaeological site of Troy, known for the Trojan Horse and story of Helen of Troy. We found many dogs and puppies with a very protective mum. Lunch at Pergamon and went on a tour of the acropolis of Pergamon - its impressive temples and library made it a cultural and political centre at the time. The cable car was not working so we took taxis up to the sites. Pergamon is famous for its jewellery, stones and silver. A long drive and arrived in Kusadasi this evening in time for dinner.

    Suhan 360 Hotel & Spa

    ABOUT

    Archaeological Site of Troy
    Troy, with its 4,000 years of history, is one of the most famous archaeological sites in the world. The first excavations at the site were undertaken by the famous archaeologist Heinrich Schliemann in 1870. In scientific terms, its extensive remains are the most significant demonstration of the first contact between the civilizations of Anatolia and the Mediterranean world. Moreover, the siege of Troy by Spartan and Achaean warriors from Greece in the 13th or 12th century B.C., immortalized by Homer in the Iliad, has inspired great creative artists throughout the world ever since.

    Pergamon, or Pergamum, sometimes referred to by the modern Greek form Pergamos, was a rich and powerful ancient Greek city in Mysia. It is located 26 kilometres from the modern coastline of the Aegean Sea on a promontory on the north side of the river Caicus and northwest of the modern city of Bergama, Turkey..
    Read more