Satellite
  • Day 10

    Gernika

    September 7, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Yesterday was a slog day. Rain all day and lots of up and down. Good though, complete silence at some points, really nice. Last night's lodging was a bottom bunk in an old church, donation. I ate dinner with a young woman from Malaysia who grew up in Australia but is studying her masters in Lucerne. We each got a bottle of wine with our dinner, and I beat my record for consumption as we chatted.

    It is still really crowded and we had to sit on the street and wait for the Alberque to open in order to secure a bed. Lots and lots of people walking from all over the place. I have not made any reservations, leaving it to chance which is a big step out of my comfort zone. I walk alone but chat at the end of the day. I try to only speak Spanish, and I talk to townspeople and shop keepers.
    Time really has stood still in some villages. It is so nice. I donot know why those are big bells are around the necks of , cows, sheep and goats, but it is a lovely background sound.
    I went to the peace museum here today, because this village was obliterated by German bombers, at Francois request as he was taking over Spain and the Germans wanted to practice dropping bombs.
    That is why Picasso painted the big mural ", Gernika,"or" Guernica " in Spanish. It is in the museum in Madrid.

    I ate a fresh fig I picked from a tree. A French cyclist took one first and then between French Spanish and English and gestures, for sweet, soft etc. I was able to learn what it was. I also resumed the sour blackberry picking activity which was interrupted by the heavy rain yesterday.
    On to Bilbao tomorrow. I may be a tourist there for a day or two, Gugginheim (sp?) museum and whatever else is on offer.
    I like walking.
    Read more