Satellite
  • Day 158

    8, 574 stair hike

    February 4, 2020 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    After our horrible hike in Sapa, my parents wanted to do another hike in Langkawi to make up for it. My parents really like hiking and my mom was worried that we wouldn’t hike after our Sapa hike. After putting off the hike for 5 days because we were busy going to the beach, we finally did the hike. The hike was through the rainforest, up 4,287 steps and had an elevation of 800 meters. The steps were concrete and brought up the hill by Malays and probably took a really long time to build.

    We saw some really cool trees with huge roots and they were super tall. Some of the trees were twisted into cool shapes too. It was really hot, but it was slightly less hot than usual because the trees were giving us shade. Some of the trees had giant leaves and some had huge tree trunks. All of us holding hands could not put our arms around some of the tree trunks because they were so big; everything in the jungle is way bigger than usual.

    Throughout the day the insects got louder and louder. They were pretty quiet when we started the hike, but by the end of it they were so loud. We saw some lizards on trees and moving around under the leaves. There were leaves and plants growing everywhere. The leaves were on trees and on the pathway. There was one tree that was so big, it had fallen down and broken the railing for the steps we had to climb. It was fun having to climb over the very large tree.

    We were the only people on the hike. There’s a viewpoint at the top of the hike and we saw people who had driven motorcycles up, but no one else hiked up. At the top, we could see little houses and we were so high up. We also saw a really cool bird flying; we think it was a great hornbill.

    After we looked at the view and had some food, we hiked back down. On the way down we heard a drone going through the forest. We heard it going most of the way down.

    After the hike, we drove into town and got gelato. I enjoyed this hike more than the trek in Sapa because it wasn’t as long and we didn’t have to hike in the dark.

    Sophie
    Read more