Satellite
  • Day 173

    Din Tai Fung

    February 19, 2020 in Taiwan ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    Last night we decided that we were tired of the food court where we have been eating each evening, so instead we went to a restaurant called Din Tai Fung. It’s a chain restaurant with restaurants in Taipei, as well as London, Dubai and L.A. It was really busy, and since we hadn’t made reservations, we had to wait 15 minutes before we could get a table. Even though it was a chain restaurant, it was pretty nice. The waitress even put jacket covers over our jackets that we had hung on the back of our chairs.

    After figuring out the menu, which was written in Mandarin, we ordered dumplings, wantons, xiaolongbao, noodles, cucumber and cabbage. We also got tea with dinner. We shared all the dishes and they were delicious. My favorites were the wantons, but it was all delicious. We saw another room where they were making the xiaolongbao, which are kind of like dumplings but round and bigger and filled with meat and broth. It was really cool to see them cooking them. One person rolled out little circles, and he did it so fast. To eat the xiaolongbao, you’re supposed to mix ginger with soy sauce and vinegar to make a sauce, then dip the xiaolongbao in the sauce and poke a hole in it so the broth leaks out onto your spoon. I just dipped the xialongbao in the sauce and ate it like that. For dessert, we had xiaolongbao filled with chocolate. It tasted kind of like a pastry with nutella; it was definitely the best part. If you ever go to Taipei or any other city with a Din Tai Fung, then you should have dinner there.

    Sophie
    Read more