Satellite
  • Day 188

    Tokyo - Day 1

    March 5, 2020 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 2 °C

    For our first day in Tokyo, we did a shopping day. We started by going to Shibya crossing, one of the busiest crosswalks in the world. Half a million people cross per day. We went up to the second floor of a building to the starbucks to watch all the people cross. It was crazy how many people there were, even though there weren’t as many people as usual. I can’t even imagine how many people there would be on other days.

    After that, we went into a huge department store. There were all kinds of things including kitkats, tea, kitchen supplies and little knick knacks on 5 different floors. It was really loud with music being played and flashing lights everywhere. It was kind of distracting. We bought some more flavored kitkats.

    For lunch, we went to the Kawaii Monster cafe. Normally we would have needed reservations, but it wasn’t as busy as usual, so we just went in and got a table. There were strobe lights and flashing colorful lights everywhere. There was loud music playing and crazy unicorns and bunnies hanging from the ceiling. There was a big spinning cake in the middle of the floor, and one of the back rooms had giant macarons on the ceiling. There were women who worked there in cosplay costumes. We all ordered a burger, which came looking like a little monster. The bun was purple and it had eyes and horns made of chocolate. The burgers were so good.

    In the afternoon, we went to Harajuku street, which is a youth shopping district. There were lots of stores filled with crazy cosplay costumes and giant shoes. We didn’t go on a weekend, but sometimes on weekends, there are people dressed up in costumes and stuff. The style here is very different than the style in Canada, so we didn’t end up buying any clothes. It was a really fun day in Tokyo.

    Sophie
    Read more