Satellite
  • Day 1

    Spouting Horn Beach Park

    December 27, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    I arrived in Kauai around 1.30PM. Regina and Gemma were already there and we immediately went to get permits for the next two nights.

    There are some important details about camping in Kauai that are relevant.

    Camping permits to stay at a beach depend on the county, and they have to be requested by mail or in person. (https://www.kauai.gov/Camping)

    Camping in State Parks and forests depends on the State of Hawaii. Some of these sell out way in advance, but at least you can do it online. (https://camping.ehawaii.gov/camping/welcome.htm…)

    Some of the beaches are definitely nicer than others. We spent a couple of nights at Salt Pond Park and would do it again. Lucy Wright Park, on the contrary, felt different. There seemed to be a group of people living there permanently and we didn’t see other visitors there.

    After getting the permits, we went to have lunch at Duke’s Kauai in Lihue. It was pretty decent. My burger was good and Regina and Gemma got quite large fish tacos. I got full, which is exactly what I needed, although I didn’t get any drinks.

    We drove through the Tree Tunnel. It’s quite spectacular and totally worth it if it’s on your way. From there we went to the Spouting Horn Beach Park, a really cool stop. The water spray here is caused by the waves that funnel under the lava shelf and up through a natural tube. More exactly, water goes out of one hole and the pressurized air escapes from another, making that characteristic sound, like a whale. Apparently, sometimes you can even see a rainbow if the light is right. We missed that, but it was still quite amazing.

    After sunset we went to have a drink at a bar, Port Allen Sunset Grill & Bar. Nothing special, but there is not much around that area. We went to sleep to our camp in Salt Pond Beach Park quite early. The place was pleasant and beautiful, but unfortunately it rained a lot and the tent leaked, so we woke up with water dropping on our heads. One useful thing I learned that night though is that your sleeping back may be wet on the outside but still keep you dry and warm inside. Not bad.
    Read more