Satellite
  • Day 5

    Winona, Mississippi

    March 27, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Elvis Aaron Presley was born in a two room house in Tupelo, Mississippi on January 8, 1935. The "shotgun " house was built by his father, grandfather and uncle. Vernon and Gladys, Elvis's parents, struggled financially and the family decided to move to Memphis to seek a better life.

    It worked out.

    Tupelo is also home to a great car museum started by a man named Frank Spain. (It would be worth your while to Google the man. He led a truly remarkable life.)

    The Tupelo Automobile Museum showcases over 100 cars valued above $11 million. Denny and I spent the afternoon walking among them. It was a bitter sweet visit.

    When Mr. Spain died a number of years ago, his foundation took control of the museum. This Sunday is the last day of operation. All the cars will be auctioned off. How sad he would be.

    We finished up the day eating a Smash Burger and a Bash Burger at the Neon Pig served by Gabriel, a congenial young man with a whole lot to say.

    Tasty stuff.

    We drove about 60 miles on the Natchez Trace Parkway (beautiful, beautiful road) and landed in Winona, Mississippi.

    Wish we were doing it in Mr. Spain's Tucker!
    Read more