Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Cheaper than Norway

    June 7, 2017 in Denmark ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    We woke up this morning in Copenhagen (the bus ride was horrible, I barely slept 3 hours all together). Once we got to central station, we wondered around for about an hour before we figured out where we needed to go & what was the best option for us. We decided to get the day pass so that we can take any bus or metro all around the city.

    (We also got out of the bus around 5:30 to take the ferry from Germany to Denmark, it was pretty awesome)

    Our Airbnb was located 10 minute from the city by bus. It is what our host calls a classic Copenhagen apartment... the shower is in the kitchen. We have a whole room to ourselves with a tv screen, Netflix
    and a couch. It is decorated witj pink accents so you obviously know I love it.

    We left our bags & went out for the day.

    Our first stop was Superkilen. Stretching some 750 metres along either side of a public cycle track, Stretching some 750 metres (2,460 ft) along either side of a public cycle track and covering a total area of some 30,000 square metres (320,000 sq ft), Superkilen is made up of three main areas: a red square, a black market and a green park. While the red square, painted bright red, orange and pink, focuses on recreation and modern living, the black market at the centre is the classic square with a fountain where neighbours can meet, with its barbecue grills and palm trees from China. The green park, literally entirely green, has rolling hills, trees and plants suitable for picnics, sports and walking the dog....... OR SO THEY SAY........ the park looked like it was built and then forgotten about. It was so dirty and looked run down.... it was so disappointing.

    Next stop: Rosenborg Castle. It was actually originally built as a country summerhouse in 1606. The castle was used by Danish regents as a royal residence until around 1710. They had the changing of the guards but we were a little late for them. The Castle was very simple but still beautiful.

    Next stop: the Round Tower. The 17th century tower and observatory Rundetaarn, or the round tower, is the oldest functioning observatory in Europe. It has been a while since the scientists left, but the observatory is still used by amateur astronomers and the many visitors. The observatory is encircled by an outdoor platform from which you have a magnificent view of the old part of Copenhagen

    Next stop: Nyhavan. It is a 17th-century waterfront, canal and entertainment district in Copenhagen. In the 1600s it was notorious for beer, sailors, and prostitution. Now it is just known for its colourful buildings, restaurants and beer. This looked almost exactly like Bergen. We walked to strip but then quickly moved on since it was freaking freezing & kaylee was in shorts.

    Next stop: Christiania is a self-proclaimed autonomous neighborhood of about 850 residents, covering 84 acres in the borough of Christianshavn. "The objective of Christiania is to create a self-governing society whereby each and every individual holds themselves responsible over the wellbeing of the entire community. Our society is to be economically self-sustaining and, as such, our aspiration is to be steadfast in our conviction that psychological and physical destitution can be averted." Famous for its main drag, known as Pusher Street, where hash and skunk weed were sold openly from permanent stands until 2004, it nevertheless does have rules forbidding 'hard drugs', such as cocaine, amphetamine, ecstasy and heroin. The hash commerce is controversial, but since the rules require a consensus they cannot be removed unless everybody agrees. Legalization of cannabis is one of the ideas of many of the citizens in Christiania. It was so unexpected walking through there. They told us not to take any pictures then we got there & understood why. The strip where they were was just stand after stand of people selling weed. It was truly a hippie town and such an interesting thing to see.

    Last stop of the day: the architect museum... we walked which felt like FOREVER to get here. And for absolutely nothing. It was the most useless museum I've ever been too. To be honest, I'm not even sure what the exhibit was about.

    We headed back to the Airbnb to make dinner and just hang out. I hadn't been that tired since the jet lag in Glasgow. We made pasta with bread and a Carlsberg ... I know it sounds so basic but it was so freaking good. We watched White Chicks and I passed out like 15 minutes into the movie 😴
    Read more