Satellite
  • Day 7

    Mount Rinjani

    May 26, 2017 in Indonesia ⋅ 🌬 31 °C

    Based on a recommendation from Bailey's friend we decided to tackle Mount Rinjani, signing up for a 2 night / 3 day trek with a company. We were collected from our hotel at 5am for the 2 hour journey north to the starting point. Banana pancakes for breakfast, again, the novelty definitely wearing off. Our group consisted of 3 Chinese, 3 French, German and Deutsch, most people spoke English and for those who didn't we managed to get by and communicate with smiles and hand gestures! First up we had to sign in at Sembalun and that was when I realised we were massively unprepared for this trek when other people had proper walking boots, poles and backpacks. It was a hot and sweaty 5 hour climb up to the base camp with a couple of stops for drinks, biscuits and lunch. The porters were carrying all the tents, cooking equipment and resources using bamboo baskets, they weighed 30-40kg and they completed the climb carrying them and in flip flops 😱

    Camp was set up and we had another meal before an early bed of 8pm as we had to get up at 2am to climb Mount Rinjani. It was pretty special to be camping above the clouds and the sky was unbelievably clear and filled with stars. The mountain was in sight and to be honest from our vantage point didn't look too far away, a gross misjudgement on our part.

    We were woken up at 2am with a cup of tea and biscuits before quickly changing and setting off. Deciding it wouldn't be wise to take our whole backpack up we left some things behind, including all of our snacks BIG mistake. The first hour was a steep climb using bushes and branches to pull up before reaching the peak leading to the ascent of Mount Rinjani. The next bit was the most physically and mentally challenging, there were short sections of flat ground but it was mostly uphill on volcanic sand/stone that for every step you took slid back down by 2. We reached the summit just before dawn at 6am and it was absolutely FREEZING. Other people were obviously prepared for this change in temperature and had thermals on, we jealously looked on in our one jumper layer and thin pants. We found one of our guides who thankfully gave us some biscuits 🙌🏼 the descent was mainly sliding down the rocks/sand but in the daylight it was clear there was a sheer drop either side if you fall off this section. The sun eventually became strong enough to warm us up and we lost some layers. The descent took 2 1/2 hours and we thankfully had time for a nap and breakfast at camp before setting off for the lake. This descent took a further 3 hours and was again mentally and physically challenging due to having to consider where to safely place each foot and the loose stones which can cause you to slip and fall. The lake was stunning and went to some hot springs to wash and clean up, the water was amazing and refreshing and we came out spotless. By this point it was half 2 and we were all in food moods due to lack of input for expended energy!

    The last part of the trek for that day was another ascent up to the crater rim for camp that evening. By this point I'd have happily camped by the lake, after setting off after each rest my legs and feet would ache and demand to stop. We managed to complete this section in 2 1/2 hours and fell in to the tents as soon as they were up!

    The third and final day 😃 more banana pancakes! We set off at 7:30am despite massive protests from my legs. This was much more intense than any feeling after I've completed any running races. The initial terrain was difficult and full of loose stones which caused lots of slips, bailey and I developed a tactic of him going first and me running at him so he could stop me. The descent seemed relentless and we didn't reach the final gate and end of the jungle terrain till 1:30pm.

    Whilst waiting to be collected to get our things from the hotel in Sanuru some girls who were starting the trek the next day asked how it was, poor timing! Once back in senggigi we had long showers, beers and a nice meal. Full body massages and mani/pedis had us feeling relaxed and refreshed before our flight to Kuala Lumpur the next day.
    Read more