Satellite
  • Day 11

    Cape Town

    April 17, 2017 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Durban - Cape Town, fly Mango, flight time 2 hours.

    We arrived in Cape Town and to our amazing air bnb at Mouille Point! It was the perfect setting with views of Lions Head to the left and the Atlantic Ocean for sunset to the right. The boys were crazy enough to go for a run in 4pm heat and came back sweaty messes. That evening we went to Pot Luck Club which was an amazing Asian style tapas place at the Old Biscuit Mill right near where Taz went to University. The next day we tackled Lions Head first thing, it was really steep towards the end but definitely worth it once we reached the summit. We were all absolutely parched and starving so headed straight to Mellisa's for breakfast in all our gym clothes. After getting a shower we headed back out for a road trip of the Cape.

    - UCT (or UTC for Bails)
    - Muizenberg (with the shark spotters)
    - Kalk Bay (we didn't stop here but Taz wanted to)
    - Fish Hoek
    - Simon's Town (Boulders Beach with the penguins)
    - Cape Point reserve
    - Scarborough
    - Witsands
    - Kommetjie
    - Noordhoek
    - Chapman's peak (the cliff pass)
    - Hout Bay (you go up Suikerbossie to climb out of Hout Bay before you get to the entrance to Llandudno)
    - Long road along the coast towards the city past the 12 Apostles hotel
    - Camps Bay
    - Clifton
    - Bantry Bay
    - Sea point

    Feeling absolutely pooped after all those sights we opted for staying in with pizza and wine that night, sometimes the simple things are the best! Strangely enough Woolworths is huge in SA, similar to M&S with really nice food and homeward things.

    The next day Dust and Taz had organised a very special engagement present for us, paragliding from Signal Hill. I won't lie I was feeling pretty nervous about just taking a run and jump off a hill but luckily it all went to plan. Not so lucky for Bails as he had a failed start, this made me so thankful for going first as I think it would have freaked me out massively. There is nothing like soaring above a city with views as far as the eye can see, it was exhilarating and something I would definitely recommend. We spent the rest of the day chilling on beaches at Camps Bay and Llandudno. We stopped at Houet Bay for fish and chips and to meet the amazingly friendly seal, he will literally come and eat from your hand on the pier.

    Bails and I headed to Franschoek and the wine tram tour the next day. We opted for green route and started at Rickety Bridge, trying to be sensible I advised Bails not to buy the red here as would probably find a better one. We both agreed at the end this was one of our fave wines 🤦🏼‍♀️ hoping we will be able to find it in the UK. Next up Mont Rochelle before stopping at Richard Brandon's winery for lunch (which was needed after all the wine consumption compared with little food). We skipped a couple and headed to Holden Manz and both absolutely fell in love with the place! Franschoek is set in a valley and this place had huge vineyards with the backdrop of the mountains. The final place provided pizza and chocolate with the wine, always a winner.

    Our final day in Cape Town together and we challenged ourselves with climbing table mountain. This was really challenging, especially after a full day drinking wine and early start. The route was in direct sunlight for the whole ascent, we managed it in just under 90 minutes and stopped for breakfast at the top. We spent some time at Clifton Beach and went to Bungalow for lunch. That evening we went to shimmy beach club and met up with friends for food and drinks. We were sad to wave goodbye to the Moons early the next morning ☹️ they had been incredible hosts and helped us fall in love with SA.

    Having one last day to fill we headed to neighbour goods market in Woodstock for breakfast, this place was amazing with lots of little food and clothing stalls and live music. Baileys friend Freddie arrived and we enjoyed food and drinks with him the V&A Waterfront.
    Read more