Satellite
  • Day 60

    Anthony, Texas- El Paso Anthony West KOA

    April 14, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    We're confused! Where are we exactly?

    Today's road trip brought us through and past El Paso, TX. OK? But we're not in El Paso. We're supposedly in Anthony. But Anthony straddles the Texas/New Mexico border. Officially we are camped in Anthony, TX . But Anthony is also in New Mexico, but we're in Anthony, TX. Getting your mail in "Anthony" could be a challenge.

    The Anthonys lie half way between El Paso, TX and Las Cruces, NM. And it's right on the Mexican border. Enough geography.

    The real story of these small towns is the people.

    But first a time out for this important message! We're actually stuck in this small town, and not by choice. After two months of hassle free milage, the RV decided to hiccup. The large living room slide decided to break, again. Luckily it stopped just as we had brought it all the way in, so we were able to drive. This malfunction brings us to Anthony, TX, only a few miles from El Paso and the availability of repair facilities. We're awaiting damage diagnosis and subsequent repair appointment.

    Back to the people of Anthony, TX/NM. The combined population of these 2 towns is approximately 14,000 and consists almost entirely of people of Hispanic/Latino decent. With Anthony's close proximity to El Paso it is easy to see the source of Hispanic/Latino population. El Paso is known as the "Ellis Island Of The Southwest". Unfortunately, the result of this immigrant population is not a happy one.

    40% of this population lives below the poverty line, and 50% of this number are children. Nearly all school children receive free breakfast and lunch. There is 15% unemployment. The majority of 911 calls are for domestic violence. With the median income less than $23,000 a year, poverty is a fact of life.

    There is at least one example of hope here. It comes in the form of a 45 year old woman. Her mother immigrated from Mexico at the age of 15. Her father was a deaf mute and worked as a farm hand and became disabled when a cow fell on him. Her mother became disabled after being struck by a drunk driver. Her 19 year old brother was murdered. And this 45 year old, who lives with her daughter and 4 grandchildren, and 88 year old mother, is a parapalegic after being struck by a drunk driver. She graduated from New Mexico State University and is now the mayor of Anthony, New Mexico. Hopefully her example provides the positive perspective of life that so many people of Anthony need.
    Read more