Satellite
  • Day 114

    Sallisaw, OK - Sallisaw/Fort Smith W KOA

    June 7, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Here we are in Sallisaw, Oklahoma, a medium size town of 8,500 in eastern Oklahoma. Just our size! Small enough for peace and quiet, and minimal traffic.

    As we head eastward the scenery has changed from arid desert landscape with colorful mountains to rolling tree covered hills. Wildlife has changed from lizards, ground squirrels, prairie dogs, and an occasional pronghorn to miles and miles of cattle; the calf's are cute, staying close to mom. Yes, we are getting closer to our trips end.

    However, there are still new things to see and experience as we pass through different states and towns. With different places and people there is always something eye catching and perhaps noteworthy. Each town has its own story to tell.

    As for Sallisaw, OK we have a town that sits within the Cherokee Nation boundaries. The Cherokee Nation is just one of many Native American lands that we have passed through in Oklahoma. Oklahoma was originally the US Indian Territory which explains the large Native American presence. Sallisaw started out a cotton farming community, turning to lumber along with coal, natural gas, and related petroleum products. Today, agriculture in many forms supports the economy. It appears that not much has changed here over a century, except the Super Walmart down the street. Another nice town to live, work, and raise a family.

    Although Sallisaw may not be known for any facts of existence, the are two well known items tied to it's name. One, the gangster Pretty Boy Floyd is from the area, and two, Sallisaw was mentioned in John Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath" novel as the home town from which the fictional family migrated westward. Even nondescript towns along our journey have a story to tell. This is what makes our trip more interesting than just the usual touristy stops.
    Read more