Satellite
  • Day 116

    Marion, Arkansas - Memphis KOA

    June 9, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    We're still in Arkansas, but not by much. Marion, AR is situated on the Arkansas/Tennessee border, and as the campground name indicates, we're near Memphis. Marion, AR is directly west of Memphis, separated by the Mississippi River. It's proximity to Memphis would probably qualify Marion as a bedroom community of the big city, but a small one with only a population of 2,500.

    There is nothing truly unique about Marion, except us camping here for 3 days. The star of the show here is Memphis. Blues music, bars, restaurants, and Elvis. What's not to like, if you like loud and crowds? Since we've been here before, we opted for more serene activities. We visited a favorite eating spot that we had found during our last time here, Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken. The menu features fried chicken, and only fried chicken. If you want beef, go elsewhere. The meal was good, but a tad on the spicy side. Not like we remembered, but good. While we were in the city for dinner (yes, we actually went into a city, but for a good reason) we stopped by a park on the bank of the Mississippi River and enjoyed a beautiful view with a relaxing breeze.

    A second city venture and again the trip was for food. This time for a favorite, Mexican pastries. We found a "panaderia" tucked into a small Latino section of the city. For all our western travels we added pastries to our love of Mexican food. Beats coffee and a plain donut for breakfast. Now if only we could pronounce the pastry names.

    Enjoyed some campground evening entertainment. We watched a cropduster plane making low level spraying passes over an adjacent field. Got to admit it's not something you see everyday and it made for a cheap date.
    Read more