Satellite
  • Day 15

    Piha beach & fairy falls

    February 11, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    I have never seen rougher surf at a beach. The sand was dark grey from the volcanoes nearby, but smooth as silk. After devouring almost all of a delicious sausage, roasted red pepper and shrimp (yes, shrimp) pizza I walked back to the shore and pulled out my guitar. The crashing waves drowned out my still inept playing, but it felt good deep inside to just take a deep breath and slow down even more.

    I never thought that slowing down would be so hard and I have a ways to go, but it's happening and it feels good. Nature has an incredible, indescribable healing effect and on the rest of my trip I intend to soak up as much as I possibly can.

    Following my beach stint I hiked a route called Fairy Falls that was about 35 minutes away. The hike was steep in parts which quickly reminded me why they say that exercise is important. Despite the huffing and puffing it was worth it. The falls were not particularly spectacular, but the views were amazing. I did the walk with a local and afterwards we rewarded ourselves with beer and snacks at a local brewery. We most certainly earned it.
    Read more