Satellite
  • Day 25

    Art, Architecture and Food

    February 23, 2018 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    After a pleasant breakfast including good coffee, a plan was made to head to the Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes (the national art gallery). We were surprised by the extent of works, particularly dating back centuries. Add to that a few treasures such as Picasso and Pollock. There was an exhibition of Rodin sculptures as well (Rodin? Thinker about it).

    We jumped in a taxi, possibly finding the only aficionado of Australian rock bands of the 80s and 90s in Argentina. His playlist included extensive back catalogs of Midnight Oil, the Saints, Hunters and Collectors, Painters and Dockers, and the Divinyls to name a few.

    The blend of architecture and art in Buenos Aires just adds to its charm, and there is still quite a bit of political art about. Trees abound, despite narrow streets and terraces, as do parks. And in an almost Parisian style, extremely wide avenues dissect the boroughs of the city. Buenos Aires comes across as a very liveable city, even if the internet is still a bit dodgy.

    We wandered around some plazas (parks) and spent some time talking to and listening to local indigenous chap play ‘House of the Rising Sun’ and other rock classics on the panpipes. His name was Pacha Abya Yala, and he was delighted to meet two members of the Waanyi nation. He described some of the 24 major tribes that once inhabited the region.

    After a late - late - lunch of magnificent Argentinos beef, it was time to head back to the hotel and rest.
    Read more