Satellite
  • Day 8

    Activist Juice

    August 31, 2016 in Germany ⋅ 🌙 13 °C

    A slower day today. I am writing this in a beer garden in the English gardens. More about that later.
    I started the day with a hop on hop off bus.
    Last night I walked from the train station to the hotel but with sore feet from all the walking I did in London I wanted to save the walking for touristy things, not getting there.
    The tramline right outside the hotel is being dug up (although I found out later there is a replacement bus) but there is a train station a few minutes from the hotel that takes me into the main station. It took me about 5 minutes but I eventually managed to buy myself a 3 day ticket.

    The sightseeing bus was just okay. The sights are wonderful but the commentary was about 30 seconds behind the bus so somethings were missed. I do have a good idea of the city, there aren't the crowds like I saw on London, given the population is 1.8 million no wonder it feels similar to Perth crowd wise.

    After the tour I made my way to the Viktualienmarkt which is an open air market that sells a lot of bratwurst. It sells much more that that but wurst shops must have made up 1/4 of the shops.
    I received my first "God's greeting" at the market.

    From now until I get to Dijon my posts will most likely contain references to The Chalet School series I read as a child and continue to read as an adult. If you aren't one of the small group who recognise these then ... I don't know, just pretend you do?

    I had bratwurst and krautsalada (badically a cheese kransky and cabbage salad) for lunch at the market.

    The two apps I use most are google maps and now itranslate. Itranslate was very helpful today at the market. I was trying to translate the ingredients in a fresh juice, orange was easy, erdbeere is strawberry but I misspelt ananas and it came out activist! It was actually pineapple.

    I bought several cheeses, ham, liverwurst, olives, tirol schuettelbrot (a really hard flat rye bread but nice), dip, brambleberries, figs, yoghurt and probably other stuff I haven't mentioned.

    There was only one place where the server didn't speak english, she was the one who gave me the first "gruss gott" and I managed to make myself understood and bought some alm butter.

    It was a really nice day until about 3pm or so when it started to get hot. I finished up and came back to the hotel.
    This evening I packed up my purchases and went to the English gardens for a picnic. Rather than gardens it is more of an english park in which you would expect to find deer.
    When the bus entered the park I saw how dense it was in parts so decided to get off one stop earlier where the beer garden was and there were lots of people.
    To give you an idea of the size it has more than 70km of paths.

    As the sun went down I made my way to the beer garden and decided to have a drink. I bought a pretzel as well which I'll have for breakfast.
    The beer garden is the place to go if you want meat and lots of it. People had plates with half a chicken or a massive shank, some just that while others had sides as well.

    Photos
    Berries
    Nymphenburg Castle
    Juice
    Cheese
    Just to prove that it is me - relaxing on the english gardens.
    Read more