Satellite
  • Day 22

    Paris in an afternoon

    September 14, 2016 in France ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    I'm in Paris. The trip from Dijon was about an hour and a half. I definitely prefer travelling by train.

    My check in luck abandoned me here. Up until now if I've arrived before check in time my room has been ready. I knew I was pushing it arriving at 12 but thought I'd try.
    I was able to leave my luggage so then set out to explore the local area. Around the corner was a metro stop. "Why not?" I thought? After several goes I found the entrance for those without tickets, negotiated the ticket machine and bought a 5 day ticket.
    Next hurdle was working out how to get through the entrance gate. After trying to swipe it (like those with cards did) I realised I had to feed my little piece of paper into a slot and it popped out again 20cm further up the gate.

    I was in, now where to go? There are two lines at the station so four options. Luckily the first train I got on (without consulting the map) took me to the Louvre.
    From there I was able to find the hop on hop off bus and spent a lovely 2 hours seeing the major sights of Paris.
    By the time I had completed the circle I was ready to head back to the hotel.

    Around the corner is a small supermarket, bakery, fruit and veg shop and a butchet. I picked up enough supplies to cook tea. It was nice to have a home cooked meal.
    I have vague plans for tomorrow but apparently there is a general strike planned so I will play it be ear.

    Photos
    Eiffel tower
    Countryside between Dijon and Paris
    River Seine
    Acr de Triomphe
    Louvre
    Read more