Satellite
  • Day 26

    Montmartre

    September 18, 2016 in France ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Today is my last day in Paris. Of course you can always stay somewhere longer but I think this has been the perfect length for me at this time.

    Sacre-Corur is the Basillica. It is a beautiful cathedral. It's at the top of a hill overlooking Paris.

    I took the funicular to the top of the hill. It was quite overcast so the views weren't great.

    The longest lines are always for security.
    Mass was being celebrated inside. It continued for about 15 minutes. Tourists were still able to walk around the edge of the cathedral. I stood with the congregation until mass was finished and then sat.

    I know God is everywhere but I do like the mood being in such surroundings produces.
    This carthedral has clean lines, the decoration is not as ornate as I had expected. I like the simpler designs.

    After about an hour I made my way to Montmarte square. There are artists painting and selling their paintings as well as doing portraits.

    I had lunch in the square. The two french dishes I had wanted to try while in France were croque monsier and an omlette.
    The restaurant I chose had omlettes on the menu. They also had frogs legs! So I had both.
    The frogs legs were okay. The were dusted in flour, fried and served with a tomato garlic mix. There is a lot of bones, more than chicken wings. I gave up trying to use a knife and fork and used my fingers.
    The omlette fines herbs was nice but I suspect it contained a lot of butter.
    I gradually made my way down the bottom of the hill.

    At all the tourist spots thetr are people selling cheap souvenirs outside the entrances. Everything is one euro. It is obviously illegal as I saw them scatter at the Eiffel tower when the police turned up. They don't hassle people, just calling one euro, one euro, one euro. On my first day, which was quite hot I bought water from one of them.
    I didn't really like seeing them at the Basillica, they were at the top but not inside the grounds.

    At the bottom of the hill there were also men playing the shell game - where there is a ball under one of three cups and you have to guess which cup. People were gambling €50. Each time I watched I was able to correctly pick the cup with the ball under it but the people handing over the money always guessed incorrectly. So I'm not sure how it is meant to work but I didn't play.

    As well as a strong police presence wherever I have been, the army has also been around. They patrol in groups of four and it is a reminder that France is under a state of emergency.

    The only other place I really wanted to see was Bastille square. Once I got there I wasn't sure why. It is just a square, not even a pretty one by French standards. So I made my way down to the river.
    I sat and watched the boats and people. A nice way to finish my time in Paris.

    Photos
    Basillica
    Main dome of the Basillica
    Montmarte
    Omelette fines herbs
    Basin de l'Arsenal - leading from Bastlle square to the Seine
    Notre Dame cathedral from the river
    Read more