Satellite
  • Day 51

    A bookish day

    October 13, 2016 in Wales ⋅ 🌙 7 °C

    Before going to Sedburgh I wasn't that fussed about going to Hay-on-Wye. There are many things that would be nice to do had I unlimited time.
    However being so close and nothing else planned between Roth and Cardiff, why not?

    It would be too simple to go straight there so I went via The Brecon Beacons. The scenery wasn't as spectacular as some I've seen this trip but it was still a nice drive.

    I said something yesterday about random pubs serving good food? I found the exception to the rule today. Nothing on the menu appealed so I went with the carvery. Big mistake, although the seasoning was nice.

    Hay-on-Wye is a cute little town. It has a lot of antique shops and other independent shops.

    (For those who aren't aware Hay-on-Wye is the original book town. It has over 20 second hand book shops).

    I wasn't really expecting to buy much as I have heard the books I am interested in can be quite expensive. This was true in the two specialist children's bookshops. I'm both they had dust jacketed Chalet School books behind glass that I only looked at through the glass. The CS books on the shelves ranged £25 to £80 so imagine what the expensive ones must have been.

    I did find some good buys though and I enjoyed walking through the town.
    I wasn't impressed with the public toilet though. If I'm going to pay 20p to use the toilet I expect a toilet seat. Thank goodness for wet wipes.

    From Hay-on-Wye I made my way to Hereford where I found Elinor Brent-Dyer's house, where she ran a school and lived for many years. it was getting dark by then but I did manage a couple of photos.

    The drive to Cardiff was in the dark. There are no street lights but enough cars that you can't use high beam but not enough to not need high beam. I'm staying in the city by the central train station, I managed to join the taxi rank but once the taxi drivers realised I wasn't there to pick someone up, thus using their space illegally and instead was there by accident they helped me turn around and directed me in the right direction!

    Photos
    Books! (From the Children's Bookshop)
    Brecon Beacons
    Bookshop in Hay-on-Wye
    EBD plaque on her house
    EBD's house
    The books I bought
    Read more