Satellite
  • Day 55

    Church and the Cornish Coast

    October 17, 2016 in England ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    I started out today with the service at Towednack church. It was a lovely service, about 30 people in attendance and in an old church. The bells called us to the service.
    I was made to feel very welcome.
    After the service I was shown the list of names of those in the churchyard and so was easily able to locate those I was looking for. I haven't had a chance to compare them to the family tree but will do so.

    From the church I went into St Ives. I had read that St Ives isn't a place for cars and it isn't! They have car parks towards the outer parts and you walk/catch the bus in.
    The streets around the harbour are narrow and cobbled. It is very touristy but in a good way. The shops tended to be bakeries selling pasties or cream teas, fudge shops (apparently Cornwall is famous for its fudge), art galleries/shop and independent clothes shops.
    When I got down to the harbour the tide was very much out. The boats were beached and people walking over the sands. An hour later I saw the sand mostly covered with water. I could see the water coming in. Like waves at the beach but they didn't recede. I watched it for quite a while.
    Seeing a tide rush in/out was something I was hoping to see on my trip so I am happy.
    I went up the coast a bit, first to Godrevy and then Portreath.
    Once the tide was in and the wind blowing strongly I could see the wild Cornish coast.
    Over at Portreath the waves were high on the harbour wall and people surfing/boogy boarding a couple of metres from the shore.

    Photos
    Towednack church
    St Ives Harbour 1:45pm
    St Ives Harbour 2:55pm
    Weather coming in
    Godrevy lighthouse
    Portreath surfer
    Read more