Satellite
  • Day 5

    Travelling to St Moritz

    September 8, 2018 in Switzerland ⋅ 🌧 8 °C

    Today was a travel day. I’ve come to St Moritz so I can catch the Glacier Express. Originally I was only going to stay one night and catch the train tomorrow but I ended up booking it for Monday so I have two nights here.

    The train journey from Zurich was lovely. The first leg was to Landquart and only took an hour. There isn’t much in Landquart and according to my train schedule I should have changed trains and kept going. It would have gotten me into St Moritz too early to check in and the seat wasn’t reserved so I could take any train along that route.
    So I took a look through the Fashion outlet which is like a mini villiage in itself. There were so many interesting things but not having the storage the only thing I bought was some Lindt chocolate. I know we have it at home but I chose flavours I haven’t seen before such as elderberry and orange.

    The train from Landquart to St Moritz was stunning. I could tell we were increasing in altitude so I downloaded an altitude app on my phone (yes I know I’m a dork) and we went from 736m to 1829m.
    The hotel is wonderful. It’s a 4 star hotel, I have a single room but I’m sure the bed is a double bed. Everything is just a little bit fancy. After checking in I returned to the train station to get some information on what to do tomorrow as there is a lot to choose from. Fortunately there is a summer special where if you stay 2+ nights you get a complimentary travel card which gives free travel on all the cable cars and trains. I then took the bus just to see where it went. That’s when I discovered that both the public transport app and google maps did me a disservice by having me get off the bus one stop early and having to walk uphill with my suitcase when the bus stops opposite the hotel.

    It’s been a long day so I’m due for an early night I think.
    Read more