Satellite
  • Day 20

    Dublin on a Sunday

    September 23, 2018 in Ireland ⋅ 🌙 5 °C

    I started the day by finishing the hop on hop off tour from yesterday. I got off at Trinity College as I had a ticket to see the book of Kells. I was early though so I went and saw the Molly Malone statue again and then wandered around the college.
    The whole process of the making of the book of Kells was really interesting and amusing to think of something that we now regard with such reverence was probably regarded as an unwanted chore by the monks who did the transcribing and illustrating. The only downside was the crowds. They limit the number of people per half hour but we were still shoulder to shoulder most of the time and it was even more crowded around the actual display of the book of Kells.
    We went up to the long room in the library which was quite spectacular. It is still used today.
    Unfortunately the long room was upstairs and going downstairs upset my leg again. It became really sore. I found somewhere for lunch which I assume was a traditional Irish pub. I had to use the light on my phone to read the menu it was so dark inside.
    Sitting there for an hour didn’t help much but it did give the painkillers time to kick in.

    I then went to Christchurch Cathedral for the afternoon service. On the infrequent occasions that I attend an Anglican service I always get distracted away from worship by the rituals of the service. It was nice though to attend a service with a full choir and a sermon given by a woman and the setting was stunning. I love the feeling of being in a traditional church. It is very different to the church I attend and I think both have their place. I did smile though at the thought of letting our Friday night kids loose in the cathedral to play dodge! The service was also for the ordination of a deacon so it was longer than. I was expecting. It was after 5 by the time it finished. My leg was much better by then so I made my way back to the hotel.
    Tomorrow I pick up the car and start to explore the country.
    Read more