Satellite
  • Day 4

    Estancia

    March 17, 2019, South Pacific Ocean ⋅ 🌧 13 °C

    After the trip to the glacier we stopped at the Estancia del xxxx. We arrived to a vast valley that met the water with a house situated in the middle. They offered us refreshments and we then headed out to see the lamb roasting over the fire. They removed the lamb from the fire and carbed off a couple pieces for us to try. Ashley doesnt usually like Lamb but even she enjoyed it. After the cutting, we want back to the house to enjoy a lamb and potatoe lunch accompanied by some delicious bread and veggies.

    Druing lunch we met met families that were on the trip with us who were very nice and had good stories to tell. One of the guys said that there was a super exclusive dinner at the hotel that was by invite only an do you had to knock on the door three times to get in.

    After lunch we were shown a demonstration with some sheep dogs who would her a group of sheep around as the owner commanded with short whistles. Easch one was indistinguishable to me but the dogs knew which direction to take the sheep anyhow. The dogs hearded the sheep the a remote building where a rancher demonstarted how to sheer a sheep. In Australia the average sheep sheer time is about 1 minute and in Chile 1 minute 30 seconds, while the world record is 16 seconds. The goal is to get the whole coat off in one piece as quickly as possible. There are 4 different grades of sheep wool based on the color and amount of curls in the fur.

    Once the sheep demonstration was completed we saddled up and went for an hour long horseback ride. Ashley felt at home and had a huge smile on her face the whole time. The trip leader took her off the the side to do a couple more advanced manuvers including a canter which I was able to take pictures off. Pretty cool!

    After the horse ride we set out on the boat back to the hotel. Once we arrived Ashley and I went for a short trip around the grounds, took pictures of mushrooms and the cool architecture. We then stopped at the bar and had drinks until we were ready for dinner. anshkey had a 1876 drink and I had a ginger honey lemonade, my forth one in 2 days.
    Read more