Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Torres Del Paine

    March 18, 2019 in Chile ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    What an amazing unforgettable day! The 2 hour drive to the park from the hotel was filled with nervous anticipation... Were the could going to hold out to give us a sight of the famous towers or were we going to get skunked?

    On the way to the park we saw some condors, guanacos and a fox. At the 1m5 hour mark the mastiff became visible and was sadly the towers and much of the mountain was covered by clouds. We drove around a bit taking pictures and miracously the clouds ending up clearing enough to see all three towers!

    Once we saw the main attraction we stopped and saw some guanacos fighting. Apparently the alpha male has to run competitors out of his area by chasing the Challenger. He runs with his head low to the ground to try to castrate the other male.

    We stopped by a waterfall with another great view of the towers which was still visible and then headed into the park. We drove around the backside and got an amazing view of the mountain which I would say was even more amazing than the towers. We stopped for lunch where the guides set up an assortment of meats and geggies for us to enjoy. Red wine was the popular choice for the group.

    After lunch we headed to grey laka and the grey glacier. Once you see one glacier, you have to see them all! The glacier had a piece that had just broken off and turned into an iceberg. The iceburg was so blue and we had to go in for a closer look! The wind was whistling during our whole trek but we finally made it to take some more pictures. The blue come from the lack of oxygen in the ice. After the grey lake trek we headed back to the van and took the long drive home.
    Read more