Satellite
  • Day 10

    Cerro Fitz Roy & Cerro Torre

    March 23, 2019 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    22 kilometers. It goes quick when there is beautiful scenery. Our guide met us at the hotel at 9am and we drove 30 minutes to the trail head. It was a beautiful morning and Fitz Roy was visible from the hotel. We were warned that it could change in a matter of seconds. I was anxious again. Right from the trail head we could see Fitz Roy in all it's glory. Stopping multiple time we took as many pictures as possible. The guide mentioned that he had done this hike around 100 times this year and this is the best weather he has seen. When the guide stops to take pictures you know it's something special.

    Before long we had a choice to make, head up the steep trail to Lago treat Fitz Roy or head to see Cerro Torre. The guide suggested Cerro Torre and the trail to the Lago looked crowded. We followed his guidance. He mentioned that this was the first time he took this trail this year and that seeing Cerro Torres was special as its usually covered by clouds. We took a gamble and it paid off. Equally as beautiful as Fitz Roy, Cerro Torres was fully visible when we first saw it. We sat on a rock and the guide shared his experiences rock climbing.

    Back on the trail we stopped at a couple more view points including one where you could see Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre at the same time, Cerro Torre was already covered up by clouds.the second stop included an alternate route back to El Chalten which took us for an amazing view of the city. The guide dropped us off at our hotel. We cleaned up and headed out to dinner.

    The dinner was great, Ashley to fill in the rest here!
    Read more