Satellite
  • Day 26

    Pilliga Artesian Bore

    January 31, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Tonight we are camped at Pilliga, just outside the town. This is a very popular place with people dropping in regularly for a soak in the warm waters that flow up 6-800meters from deep below the surface.

    The bore has been capped and some flow allowed to run into a swimming pool. The outflow from the pool flows into the creek keeping a permanent water feature. Recent rain has increased the water in the creek making it a very pleasant walk. There are some birds but they will be more scattered with the abundant water holes surrounding.

    There are claims that a regular soak in this water can cure many ailments. I found that around 20 minutes was about all the time I could stay in the warm water. Even though the temperature was quite warm I felt quite cold when I got out.

    Tonight is a rare lunar show. A full lunar eclipse with bonus effects. Although the actual eclipse is a couple of hours away, the extra brightness of the perigee moon (super moon) is creating beautiful effects from behind light cloud. We are hoping the eclipse will be quite spectacular. The anticipated effect is termed a blood moon due to the increase in red light reflecting back from the earths shadow.

    One last coincidence is that this month is a blue moon. In some places it is termed a gravest moon. Although this happens every year or two, the combination of 3 features is rare.
    Read more