Satellite
  • Day 32

    Steam motorcycle at Shepparton Motor Mus

    February 6, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    I am not sure I would be comfortable sitting atop a steam boiler that has potential to fail catastrophically. This example is a replica of the original, built as closely as the few photos and illustrations allowed.

    The original was built by Sylvester H. Roper around 1867-1869. Roper was a prolific inventor who had also made steam powered carriages that had been seen driving around Boston. He also had quite a few patents jointly and on his own.

    The steam bicycle had been pitted against professional riders of the day in a velodrome. None could outpace the contraption that had recorded speeds of 40mph. (64kph)

    Perhaps the most enduring historical fact was when he died while riding the steam motorbike. The bike started to wobble and he fell sustaining head injuries. A later autopsy found he had suffered a heart failure but it was uncertain if he had died before the fall or not. Either way he was to remembered as the first recorded motor cycle fatality. Since the steam had been turned off there is some thought that he may have realized he was not well.
    Read more