Satellite
  • Day 75

    Oldest church in Australia (Ebenezer)

    March 21, 2018 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 18 °C

    A short drive from where we camped is the oldest church in Australia. We learned though that this was only by a very short time because the other church being built elsewhere kept having the Holy Dollar that was laid with the foundation stolen. Eventually the dollar was successfully laid with the foundation and work proceeded. Ebenezer may not have been used first for regular services.

    These stories would be hard to validate so only the date on the laying of the foundation stone would be accurately known. There were no selfies of the stone being laid of FacePaper or anything like that. The stone Mason would have engraved the information he was given.

    Ebenezer church is a Uniting Church but probably was a Presbyterian denomination before that. From memory some churches did unite and some decided against.

    The church and grounds are very well maintained as is the graves on the site. Many have been refurbished and new plaques installed. This would have been an important point in the local community when it was built. Worship, fellowship and meeting partners would have been all part of this churches history.

    I would expect that things like dance halls would have come quite a bit later. Perhaps there was already a stage coach stop or a tavern.
    Read more