Satellite
  • Day 50

    The end of a fantastic trip.

    September 19, 2018 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 14 °C

    Thanks to all who joined us for this trip. We had a great time with the new vehicle. No great dramas and we did so much.

    To finish this trip, here is the brief overview of that trip. Browse back to see more photos and commentary.

    Looking forward to the next trip already. Stay tuned.

    ≠======================≠

    On the second of August we headed off on a trip north for a very special music festival. Only 350 people can get tickets to go and they were sold out in just 30 minutes.

    The festival was Black Mountain Unplugged, organized by Bryce and Marnie of the Hillbilly Goats. These Apalation mountain music players are one of my wife's favourite bands. After we had our tickets we found out Lily and King were also performing. That was a huge bonus. Heaps of other great shows made it a fantastic weekend.

    We had taken over a week to get to Black Mountain with some great stops on the way. Toomulla Beach, Bonadio near Yungaburra, Birds on Baron and a free camp near Little Annand River. A morning at Tyto wetland and a night in Taylor wood caravan park that was once a naturist camp. After the last cyclone the trees were smashed and people could be seen from the road.

    This trip has been at a more relaxed pace with longer stops. After the festival, some time at Home Rule campground, Elim Beach, Lakefield and Gloria's camp, we treated ourselves to two nights in Cairns for a show. We left the van at Gloria's and stayed in a hotel. The show was The Simon and Garfunkel story.

    A few days each at Pinnarendi Station, Fletcher Creek, then Burdekin Falls dam, a few more at Lake Elphinstone and even more at Cape Palmerston. We have decided to head home from Cape Palmerston. Almost 50 days enjoying some of the best weather ever.

    The new car has been quite good to travel with. No problems apart from a mysterious glitch with the locking system. I suspect the key button was held on in my pocket and some sort of programmed failsafe was invoked. It returned to normal after we had been for a walk. No repeat incident.
    ≠======================≠
    Read more