Satellite
  • Paddabilla Bore

    September 15, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    On our trip from Eulo to Cunnamulla, we decided to stop for the night at Paddabilla bore. This bore was drilled here to water travelling stock. It is still used to water stock and now by the travelling public as a rest stop. It is interesting to look at the old watering trough and the Turkey nest cooling tank. Water still rises under pressure at a lukewarm temperature. I think if the water were allowed to flow at a high rate it would be hotter.

    The other side of Eulo there is an extinct mud spring. It was a natural vent for the artesian basin when the pressure rose very high. Seepage kept the mud wetted continuously for thousands (or even millions) of years. Since humans learned to drill into the artesian aquifer, the artesian has dropped drastically and some bores don't flow at all. These seepage points have ceased to flow. Natural watering spots and native animal habitat have become extinct.

    The mound of mud near Eulo would only get soft now with a good rainy season. Normally it is dry.

    ***************************
    This is mulga Country. Rather than try to tell it all myself, I have copied a sign.

    Mulga - Acacia aneura

    This long lived small tree grows to
    between 6-9m. Its ascending branches
    catch every last drop of rain available and
    send it to the root zone. The leaves of the
    mulga are leathery and well adapted to
    harsh semi-arid environments.

    The mulga tree grows mainly on red
    soil, sandy plains and stony country.
    The type of soil dictates the growth
    and habit. The timber is very hard and
    was used by aborigines to make
    implements necessary for their
    survival. The mulga tree is a major
    stock feed source particularly
    during times of drought.
    Read more