Satellite
  • Day 19

    Volcanoes everywhere

    January 21, 2017 in Guatemala ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    In Panajachel today which is right on Lake Atitlan. Its quite beautiful as you stare at the lake with the three volcanoes surrounding it.

    We decide to go to two villages on the lake. You never know when the public boat goes as they wait for passengers so we negotiate for a private boat. God what a drama - it takes ages as they quote you ridiculous prices which you wouldn't pay in any western country. Finally we get an acceptable price $16 each for two villages spending an hour and a half in each with a half hour boat ride there and back.

    The villages are great - the first one San Pedro has a very busy main street with a market and sits at the base of Pedro volcano. The second one San Marcos is a small village with views towards the volcanoes. Its got a very hippy Bryon Bay feel with lots of massage and yoga places and some very cute cafes with a chilled out jungle vibe.

    After checking out San Marcos I decide to get a crepe at the only restaurant which has a view of the lake in the village. I paid abit more but the views were sensational! And it had wi fi. The others went and had bigger lunches at one of the jungle cafes and then crepes at one of the hip cafes. But give me a water view and I am in heaven!

    Then we had the roughest ride I have ever had in a boat! We were laughing and screaming at the same time!!

    I walk around town looking at the shops. I saw these really ugly bead lizards which I wanted for the christmas tree but when they start at $65 when its worth $20 I just can't be bothered with the haggling. It was hideous but I will go to bed dreaming about it!

    Back to the hotel for a rest then we hit the street for dinner. I get some chicken and salad on little tortillas and the others get hotdogs with four different sauces which were put on before and after the hotdog went in then topped of with piles of cabbage!

    Exhausted, hot and dusty, and looking forward to my shower. But my room is right off the lobby and directly in line with the entry from the street so its very noisy.

    Good grief - went to have my shower and its cold! So I dry off, get dressed and approach reception. A guy comes in and fiddles with the shower head and the water is warm. So I think I will give this a go. Mistake - its still too cold to be comfortable. By this stage the floor is wet and filthy from the dusty shoes of the shower fixit guy.

    After two days without a shower and covered in sweat, grim, dust, suncreen and mosquito repellent I need a hot shower. So I dry off again get dressed and out I go.

    This time they tell me the hot showers are on the third floor! So why is anyone on the tour given a room without a hot shower. Plus my room is small, windowless and very stuffy.

    Anyway they offer to change my room but I can't be bothered packing up all my stuff. So up I go to the third floor with my wash bag. The room is about five times the size of mine and has a lounge area. Too tired to care - I just want my shower.

    Now going to bed refreshed!
    Read more