Satellite
  • Day 3

    Off to Cuba!

    December 28, 2017 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Up early, hit the ATM for another mimimum cash withdrawal and then off to Mexico City.
    Wheelchair met us when we got off the plane and this guy was pushing margy so fast I was running to keep up with him!
    Even though we had connecting flights in Mexico we had to retrieve our luggage and then check it back in. This was done in a weird little corner where the wheelchair guy literally hurled the bags in the corner. Then we ran to the hand luggage xray and these guys were putting pellets of water, coffee beans, nuts and frozen chicken through the xray!
    Wheelchair guy was not happy!

    There was another machine fully staffed but accepting nobody. Go figure. Wheelchair guy did his best but to no avail.

    Then we ran to the gate, wheelchair guy said 'My service ends here' and asked for his tip. Now I knew that wasn't right as we had to get on the plane but he kept on saying 20 minute wait and speed off. Of course loading started in about 2 seconds so we had to get some poor guy whose job it wasn't to wheel marge to the plane.

    Now it is only on the plane when I am wadding through an inch of paperwork that the travel agent only sent me days before flying out that I discover that US dollars are hit with an extra 10% tax that other accepted currencies are not, when exchanging. Of course we only have US dollars!
    I knew they were not great to take but I didn't have time to get any other currency and I thought it would just be a crappy exchange rate but not as much as 10%.

    So our money situation just got even worse!

    Arrived at airport about 11pm and no transfer was there. So a representative from another group called ours. They had forgotton about us! Great! So a taxi was arranged and off we went.

    The casa where we are staying has a great location and the room has a 70s vibe. Very small room and bathroom but all I care about is the air conditioning. They have even squashed in a fridge.

    To bed exhausted.
    Read more