Satellite
  • Day 5

    A short domestic flight!

    December 30, 2017 in Cuba ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Met the group and tour leader last night. Nice small group of nine. Both the group and tour leader are great. The tour leader has an english accent as he spent 6 months at Oxford.

    Got up at the crack of dawn as our tour leader was adamant that punctuality is next to godliness. So we are all on time and a bus driver and a bus were there but no tour guide. Anyway the driver loads our luggage and off we go! Of course we have gotten on a bus with someone we don't know and could have been going anywhere!

    Meanwhile the guide sees the bus going off without him! An expensive taxi later the guide catches up with us at the airport which is a long way out of Havana. Of course he had to ring his boss and say he lost his group on day one!

    A very long wait at the airport and we are off to Baracoa which is at the very east of Cuba and was the first town established in Cuba.

    Late lunch in a hotel in the centre of town, supermarket stop to buy a massive bottle of water, bicycle taxi back to our casa then a rest before meeting the group for dinner. We were going to a place on the waterfront (malecon) but the recent hurricane had pretty much destroyed it so we went to a restaurant in an old colonial building.

    Then the rain really starts to pour. It rains every day in Baracoa. There is a lovely balcony in the restaurant where you can watch the passing parade on the street and with the pouring rain and a drink it is quite relaxing!

    Marge and I stumble, literally because the paths and roads are so bad, back to the casa in the dark. We get lost and have to ask directions because all the streets and houses start to look the same in the dark.
    Read more