Satellite
  • Day 6

    New Year's Eve

    December 31, 2017 in Cuba ⋅ ☀️ -12 °C

    We are staying in a lovely casa which is spotless. The hostess is very nice and has the most amazing collection of dresses.

    Bit of a chill day so after a leisurely start we head off to a hotel on the hill which has views but the main attraction is the wifi.

    Whenever you see lots of people standing around looking at their phones (usually in plazas) you know its a hotspot. There is no free wifi in Cuba. You buy an internet card for so many hours at $1US for an hour.

    We planned to catch a taxi but only a jeep was available which was impossible for mum to get in. After various charades the driver finally accepted this and got some random guy on the street to drive us in his car!

    Unfortunately mum left her backpack in the car. Nothing really of value except the actual backpack, mum's cancer council sunhat (borrowed from me) and my travelling umbrella which I also use to keep the sun off.

    So I bolt down the stairs that led to this hotel to where we caught the car but no luck finding this guy who I am not sure I would recognise from any other guy. Then I queue for an internet card but in cuba a queue doesn't mean much as the guard is letting lots of people skip the queue so I give up on that.

    Then back to the hotel. We attempt to order lunch but most stuff is unavailable (an indication it is state run!) so mum has a fruit salad and I have a nectar juice.

    Then we sign onto the internet - yay! After leaving the hotel we hit the ice cream parlour and I walk around town abit.

    Dinner is at the tour guide's cousin's place abit out of town. The family didn't look very infused to have us even though we were paying quite alot for Cuban standards. We even had the sullen teenager who was obviously told he must sit through the whole thing!

    But the food and presentation were good. Our tour guide also gave us some salsa lessons. Next back to town to the only nightclub to see in the new year. Its a rooftop terrace with a view of the town square and a show was on.

    So happy new year to marge and I and everyone reading this blog!
    Read more