Satellite
  • Day 7

    New Years Day!

    January 1, 2018 in Cuba ⋅ 🌫 0 °C

    A lovely chill day at Maguana beach with white sand and palm trees - 20km west of Baracoa.
    I hired a top quality plastic sunlounge which had seen better days for $2. Later on they charged me $1 for picking up the lounge and taking it to the spot on the beach I had picked.

    Marge sat in a hut and we were charged $3 for her chair. I think they just made numbers up.

    We are learning in Cuba to order ahead if you have any chance of eating when you want to and it worked like a treat. Some places you can wait for hours. Very tasty chicken cooked perfectly and salad. The tomatoes here are full of flavour and we are eating loads of them.

    Eventually back to town and a miracle occured at 5.30pm in the telecommunications office - no queue!!! So I rushed in and loaded up on internet cards. You can buy them from guys on the street but the price is double. So I saved about $7!! Yes this is how much we have to watch our pennies! We tried another ice cream parlour and gave dinner a miss. The servings here are huge so its either two meals a day or you share a plate.

    I walked around the town abit. Nice little town with some ugly soviet style unit blocks down by the water. The waterfront strip or malecon as they call it is just ugly concrete and soviet style unit blocks. Prime real estate!
    Read more