Satellite
  • Day 1

    Getting out of Sydney

    October 24, 2018 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 16 °C

    So off to Russia we go and about 26 hours later we are there!
    Lots of last minute rushing around getting things organised for the trip. As is my usual style left the packing till the night before and was up all night. Then went to work followed by Dr, last minute shopping and finally home to finish the packing!
    Then off to collect Marge and my sister rings me telling me she isn't home from getting her hair nails and pedicure done! So sister in law is sent off to track her down and sister sorts out Marge's last minute packing. Margy meanwhile is found in the chemist. So more rushing around getting her ready. The 8 year packed the toiletries so will be interesting to see what we have. She seemed to be concentrating on lipsticks!

    Anyway first time flying with Qatar and the service was fantastic. Really above and beyond. The business check in even has a rug for the passengers to stand on as they check in. Nice!

    I am sitting in the upstairs part of the plane in this very small economy section just behind business. Very exclusive and bonus I am sitting in the bulkhead with a spare seat next to me.

    Stopover in Doha was good. We got driven around in a golf cart. So after setting up Mum in the business class lounge I check out the shopping. Its a good airport with lots of shops. Also there are lots of nice cosy places to sit. They have lots of small private tv lounge areas and quite areas with reclining lounges so a pretty good airport to hang out in.

    Next flight and we get onto the plane via a hoist into a metal room on top of a truck then another hoist onto the plane! So they are certainly looking after their disabled passengers.

    Finally we get to St Petersburg and our beautiful hotel. I could just hang out here watching the canal view. The staff are fantastic and could not have been more helpful. Pushkin Hotel if you are ever in St Petersburg. It really was a highlight and the location is 5 minutes from the Hermitage which you see every time you leave the hotel. And its about a 7 minute walk from the main street Nevesky Prospect, it runs parallel to one of the main cafe/restaurant streets and its 15 minutes to the markets and the Church of the Spilled Blood.

    We have a nice meal in a very trendy cafe on Nevesky and collapse into bed!
    Read more