Satellite
  • Day 8

    Vienna & Bratislava

    December 8, 2018 in Switzerland ⋅ 🌧 6 °C

    Saturday December 8
    Up at 6. Breakfast downstairs. On the bus by 8 on our way to Bratislava, Slovakia. About an hour and 20 minute ride. Met Marten our guide, a university professor of international economics. 33 years old. Walked through the old part of Bratislava learning about the politics and culture of the country. Walked about 80 minutes. Then free time to shop and eat. We had a big fat sausage with mustard. Then we tried the potato pancake with sour cream and bacon. Not as good as Nuremberg! Back to Vienna by 1. We’re dropped off at one end of Naschmarkt. Lots of cafes, beautiful food displays and many shops. Cristi ate an gyro as we walked did lots of last minute shopping. Continued walking through all of it, about a mile and half back to hotel. Rested for a little bit before going to dinner in the Vienna Woods.
    This restaurant Das Schreiberhaus was a pretty large place decorated as a chalet. Creaking wood floors took us upstairs to our table which had an Austrian version of antipasto. Pickled carrots, green beans, potato salad. Pickles peppers and bread spreads. Wine carafes , which we refilled a couple of times. As we were served family style, sliced pork, ham, chicken, Wiener schnitzel and sauerkraut, the accordion player got us all singing along to several fun songs. He even had us yodeling! What a great way to say goodbye to Vienna ! Back to hotel by 10, got organized and went to sleep.
    Read more