Satellite
  • Day 128

    Coromandel Continued

    April 28, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Today we left Port Jackson at the very northerly tip of the peninsula and made our way back down the winding coastal road, with stunning views over the Hauraki Gulf. The Bongo took the gravel roads in her stride and we made it down to Hot Water Beach for the early afternoon low tide.

    Hot Water Beach takes its name from the fact a thermal stream runs out through an interesting rock formation at the central point of the beach, and digging in the sand between here and the sea results in beautiful hot water rushing to the surface. A short job with a spade is all you need to create your very own thermal spa to lounge in for a couple of hours. Just remember to get back out and along to the end of the beach before the tide comes in too far, as it's easy to get stuck and this coast has some nasty rips!

    After relaxing for a while we drove up the coast a short distance to walk down to Cathedral Cove, an incredible natural rock arch carved by the wild seas. We walked along the beach and through the archway as waves rolled in and started to chase us back the way we came. We wandered slowly on the way back, taking a detour down to the neighbouring beach at Stingray Cove as the sun set.

    We finished off the day with takeaway fish and chips back at Hot Water Beach before heading on to Tauranga to stop with friends for the night on our way back to the bright lights of Rotovegas!

    Ben
    Read more