Satellite
  • Day 10

    The first day job

    February 20, 2014 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    I met a lot of other backpackers at Bunk, a lot of fun and friendly people. The more you travel, the more you get to trust other travellers, I’d only been in Australia for a few weeks but I started worrying about the job situation. One or two shifts as a glassie per week at Bunk, I needed to get more funds in order to break even.

    I picked up a couple of manual jobs here and there, a crate unload one day was a nice introduction to Australia's heat (see photo attached, it was hot as hell in there!)

    A few other guys at the hostel were working as removal men so I gave that a go for a couple of days. It’s funny how after managing to move about three houses worth of stuff in one day, it makes moving house seem less stressful than a lot of people make it out to be. It doesn’t take as long as you’d think. Unfortunately though I ended up pulling my back out deadlifting with Ben in the gym and I don’t know what happened to my thumb but I couldn’t put any weight on it and it still bothers me to this day. I got it ultra scanned up in Cairns about 7 months later and I’ve got a ganglionic growth between the bones or something that needs surgery to fix but it’s a really risky op, so 1, it’s expensive and 2, if they fuck up I’ll be a lot worse than I was to start with. You use your thumbs a lot, especially if you only have a phone to type onto when you’re on a 30 hour bus from Vientiane to Hanoi!
    Anyways, back to history.
    At this removal job I spent my first few days working with a crazy Brazilian dude, can’t remember his name but he was fun to work with. We picked up heavy stuff from out of houses and storage locations, it would have been a good job if not for the injuries. I wouldn’t have needed a gym membership at least.
    Read more