Satellite
  • Day 16

    Kite surfing!

    February 26, 2014 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Sandgate Beach. Give me flat, shallow waters, and wind in a good direction, and let me kite surf!

    This place is perfect for learning how to fly a big ass kite to pull yourself along the water with. The first time I went was with a couple of guys from Bunk Hostel, and got my first lessons from surf connect. I'd wanted to head to Australia in the first place to pick this hobby up properly, and I can't wait to get back to it. It's one of the most technically challenging and rewarding sports I think I've ever tried. It's also hella frustrating if you unhook the kite with the safety leash unhooked, but that's another story!

    The first lesson was on basic kite control, wind direction and safety. The second lesson was getting out further to sea and getting up on the board!

    The first time I tried to get going however, I ended up giving the kite a little too much power, launched myself a good couple of feet out of the water, and then used my unfinished training to gracefully fail at the landing, and subsequently lost the gopro that was strapped to my head.

    If anyone picks that up, I'm sure they'll have some interesting and exciting footage!
    Read more