Satellite
  • Day 2

    Como, Italy

    May 19, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    June 2017

    Overlooked and underrated by travelers arriving on trains from Milan, the town of Como is typically considered nothing more than a gateway to other towns, since this is where you catch ferries to various parts of the lake. Those who do spend time here find it to be worthwhile: there’s a splendid 15th-century cathedral, the Silk Museum, the Romanesque Sant’Abbondio, historic San Fedele, a lovely lakeside promenade, the medieval city center, and more to explore
    My favourite gelato in Como is located just off the main square, right by the waterfront in a small and unassuming little building: Gelateria Lariana. My favourite flavours were Bachi (chocolate hazelnut) and Dark Chocolate (seriously so good that my eyes popped out of my head for the first taste).
    La Vita e’ Bella If you’re looking for a nice little restaurant – not too fancy but great for date night – then I can recommend this great little find on Piazza Domenico Croggi. The menu is typically Italian but with a healthy spin – loads of salads to choose from and great vegetarian options!
    Funicular Railway

    The Funicular Railway has linked Lake Como and Brunate since 1894 and is still the quickest way of travelling between these two towns. A trip on the railway offers stunning views and an opportunity to see panoramic views of rural Como, all whilst having an enjoyable jaunt on a train!

    The Funicular Railway marked the start of an industrial tourism revolution in Como, as it was built at a time when many transport links in the area were expanding to create a network between local towns. In 1911 the traction system changed from steam to electricity and the canon which makes a daily salute at noon possible was installed in 1912. Today the railway is run by ATM and is accords to all environmental and safety regulations despite its age!

    As you glide along the cliff sides on the railway you will be able to see for miles, glancing over the epic azure lake, clusters of traditional Italian houses and sweeping mountainsides. The journey itself lasts just over ten minutes and once you reach Brunate you have the choice of sitting down with a drink from the little bar to take in the glorious views or alternatively you can go for a bit of an explore.
    Read more