Satellite
  • Day 48

    Orvieto

    December 30, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 5 °C

    2 nights in Orvieto and so much to do. Orvieto is a small city perched on a rock cliff in Umbria absolutely stunning .

    Kai and I went to the tourist information and found out we can purchase a tourist card for 17 Euro to visit the main sites. Visitors usually use this pass over 2 days. I personally think Kai and I did pretty well doing it in 1 day.

    After planning our route we were on our way. First stop, the Duomo. The Duomo is a large 14th Century Roman Catholic cathedral dedicated to the assumption of the Virgin Mary.

    After the Duomo we met Mum and Grace for a guided tour of Orvieto Underground. An amazing experience I learnt that every house and apartment in Orvieto has an underground passage . Back in the days the pigeons used to fly underground into the holes in the walls for shelter and people captured them for food and survival.

    Next stop moving along we were on a tight schedule. Down the hill, Kai and I go to our next destination, Pozzo Della Cava. Wow the best nativity scene in the world. We saw life size modelled donkeys that moved and other moving figures that made it all seem real. It was like a miniature village underground.

    We stopped off for a quick lunch of sandwiches and paella, delicious.

    Then Kai and I decided that we knew exactly where to go following the map and it was very easy. We actually got ourselves very lost. We went in a huge circle and ended up back to where we were for lunch. Kai in her loud voice announced she gives up.
    A young man heard her and came up and asked whether we need help. He guided us in the right direction.

    After a very scenic walk down to bottom of the cliff we visited the tombs from ancient times not knowing we could actually go inside the tombs it was like a gigantic playground. Climbing in and out of the tombs and pretending to be zombies scaring each other to death (lucky there were tombs close by), we decided it was a highlight of the trip. What a memorable experience.

    Last stop for today, St Patrick’s Well. Orvieto was the Town where the Catholic monks and nuns took refuge from the siege in Florence. So, this well was built for the water supply needed for the many people who fled to Orvieto. 248 steps inside used to have the donkeys travelling up and down to transport the water into the Town.
    Another great day, new things learnt, great experiences and more adventures fulfilled.
    Read more