Satellite
  • Day 53

    Bari

    January 4, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    Bari
    In a word, Bari for us was all about food. The girls commented that all we did was eat in the 24hrs. There was very fresh seafood, fine Barisene food, fantastic sgagliozze aka polenta chips and the best gelato so far.

    Our waiter from dinner proudly declared that he learnt to speak such good English from Netflix.

    In the medieval laneway, ladies would sell their homemade pastas and biscuits from their front doors. They would sit in their homes with the front doors open, a table set outside displaying their produce. They would shout their conversations to each other, as their hands busied with rolling and shaping orriechiete, 1.5 cm ear shaped pastas.

    In the evening, we finally saw a live nativity scene complete with dancing fluttering baby angels in front of a church just around the corner from our apatment. The locals were so welcoming of us, we were offered hot chocolate (we declined), and homemade biscuits, which we were obliged to accept. A man was most insistant that we walk amongst the scene which to our embarrassment, we did and got into everybody's way. It was such a happy and warm atmosphere that no one minded. Even when the crowd spilled into the street and blocked the flow of traffic, not a horn or impatient shout was heard.

    However, the next morning, Bari became the only place where we were told to leave a church (not the nativity church). We are still not sure why.

    Lastly in Bari, it took us only 2 hrs to see all the sights. Sum total of 2 Basilicas and 1 castle.

    The most important and significant find at the Basilica Santa Nicola, was that Ruby's patron saint is Saint Nicholas, aka Santa Claus. Very apt as He personifies Christmas and he is also the Saint of persons without certain undergarments. She was here to venerate her patron saint's remains in this Basilica. This Basilica is used both by the Orthodox and the Catholics.
    Read more