Satellite
  • Day 11

    Whale shark swim

    June 5, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    It is the morning of the whale shark swim! I am both very excited and petrified at the same time.
    I will be fine.
    We are back from the whale shark and snorkel tours with Ningaloo Discovery Tours. I am still a little scared of the ocean but feeling a lot more confident. The guides Lily, camera woman Katia, Mitch captain of the vessel and staff were so professional, informative and young.
    We were first taken on a short snorkel so that the guides could gauge our snorkeling and swimming ability. Then with the help of a spotter plane, the captain is told where the whale sharks are, and 10 mins later we are in the water, completely mesmerised by this great beast.
    The whale shark is neither whale nor shark. It is actually a fish. The one we saw was a young male, 6-7m long. We got to jump in 5 times as quite a few in the group were happy to just go once. On the second jump in, the whale shark was coming straight towards me with mouth open. Had to quickly swim out of his way. The current pushed Ruby about a metre away from the shark, and I saw her paddling away from the shark and she had to be yanked away by one of the staff.
    The experience of swimming with him was both exhilarating, humbling and amazing. I did all the swims without my pool noodle, at depths 50-60m.
    Snorkeling was amazing too because the skipper anchored just inside the break, at a deep part of the reef. Despite a lot of red jellyfish, we snorkeled around massive corals called bommie. The guide pointed out a 1.5m tawny nurse shark and an inquisitive octopus. The camera woman swam down to put her camera on the sand and the octopus came out and crawled over it to check it out.
    We are ending this fabulous day with a nice dinner at Exhale Cafe again.
    Read more