Satellite
  • Day 12

    Jundoo Dam Sandstone

    June 1, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    We decamped as soon as we woke up heading for Leonora for breakfast at the Food Van Cafe. We had a substantial breakfast of shared hamburger and a home made steak and onion pie, washed down with expresso and cappuccino in a nice china cup. We returned to this cafe as the multi-coloured hair lady presented our shared sausage roll in 2 separate plates with cutlery bundled in a cloth napkin, when we stopped for late lunch snack yesterday. I was so impressed that she bothered to do that for a $4 sausage roll shared between both of us when we ordered nothing else. Also, there were 2 men at a table outside the cafe, one was sobbing his big scruffy manly heart out to the other. The listener later came into the cafe kitchen, and it was obvious he was either staff or owner. Definately a very special cafe.
    Then we headed to Peter Denny lookout to set up our next camp but it was not the view that the write ups promised. Might have been more attractive if not for a fence between the campsite and the rocks, prohibiting any exploration. So we continued to Sandstone.
    Sandstone is a tiny town of population of 38 people with a very quaint pub that is a skimpy bar from 5pm. Sandstone was once a thriving Gold Rush town but when that went bust, sheep farms moved in. However, due to wild dogs, farmers had to change to cattle instead.
    Sandstone has a lovely and informative visitors information lady who directed us to a cafe for cake and coffee. Food was fabulous at this cafe but what's best was the owner sent us to a campsite that is not on Wikicamps and only 36km from Sandstone called Jundoo Dam.
    Jundoo Dam campsite is a great spot and helped us greatly as we didn't have any idea where to camp for tonight. We are the only ones here so we had a camp wash with delicate cups of water and tepid water warmed up in our cooking pot. It is amazing how clean we can feel with so little water.
    Read more