Satellite
  • Day 35

    Back to the city

    March 23, 2019 in Finland ⋅ 🌬 3 °C

    It’s funny how you get used to a place so quickly when you are travelling and you develop small routines the longer you stay. We had grown so used to our cabin in Äkäslompolo and it felt a little strange to be back in city hotel room. The short flight was a but rough especially on landing and very cramped. When the person sitting in front of me decided to recline I could not even read a magazine without turning to the side to turn the pages... it’s a first world problem I know.
    Well, anyway... Helsinki. An interesting place, and a very spacious city. Wide tree lined boulevards remind me a little of Paris actually, and the green and yellow trams that are similar to Melbourne. My first and very short impression is that it is lively, full of Finnish culture and art. It has given me a new appreciation for Finnish design. We feel very underdressed as we walk around in our travel clothes. I would like stay an extra day, as we really have not had a chance to explore too much, as we will have only been here for under 48 hours! Unfortunately, Saturday was a grey, rainy day with a mist that blanketed the city from early afternoon. We took the Panorama Bus to view the city from the warmth and dryness of a bus. After a spot of lunch we visited the Finland Museum of Photography and the most awesome Helsinki city library with it’s architecture that it resembles Finland’s fells. Today the sun has greeted us and a quick morning walk took me to the sea baths where locals were enjoying their ‘löyly’ in the sauna followed by a quick dip in the sea pool. A little cold for me.
    Read more