Satellite
  • Day 26

    Feb 16 - Island of Moorea

    February 16, 2020, South Pacific Ocean ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    When we opened the curtains this morning, we were greeted by calm waters, brilliant sunshine and exquisite blue waters. We are anchored at the island of Moorea in Opunohu Bay. The island was created by volcanic action so it rises steeply from the water with one road that runs around the island just a few feet from the water’s edge. The island is green, green, green. There is an agricultural school where hundreds of acres of flowers, fruit trees, coffee, vanilla beans and vegetables are grown by high school students and staff. Students from all over French Polynesia can receive an agricultural eduction in crop and livestock farming, horticulture, the cultivation process, and landscape design. From the fruit products, the students learn to make fresh fruit juices and jams.

    At the breakfast venue that we chose, we were offered either indoor or outdoor seating. Since we most definitely would NOT be eating outside at home, we opted for an outside table. We enjoyed lovely views of the bay and the island. It’s quite warm and humid - the soft Pacific breeze kept it just nice. The service was, as we have come to expect, friendly, upbeat and efficient. Each server asks your name and then addresses you by it for the duration of the meal. John Paul, our waiter, filled us in on a tidbit of information. There is going to be a wedding with 120 guests when we get to Bora Bora. There are 77 of those guests on board. We wondered because we saw a gaggle of people all dressed in white seated together last night.

    We picked up our snorkelling gear from the back of the boat where a marina drops down for instant water access for kayaking and paddle boarding. We didn’t book any excursions for today. Tomorrow we have signed up for an e-bike tour of Hauhine. It’s only 4 hours 27 km/17 miles. Our slothful lifestyle of the past couple of weeks might come back to haunt us.

    We spent the morning reading - I know that is a bit sacrilegious - but we are playing it really, really safe with Doug and trying not to trigger another episode like we had in NZ. We both are in the throes of really intriguing books.

    Had lunch outside on the aft deck. The buffet theme changes each day - today it’s “French” - no surprise there. They make pretty good cookies here.

    We pulled up anchor about 4:30 p.m. and by 6:30 p.m. Doug was light-headed and his equilibrium was totally off. I ate dinner alone - got an invitation to eat with another couple, but I declined - I would have been sad company. I got the doctor to come to see Doug - gave him an injection - he'll be out until morning. Guess I'm reading in the bathroom again..... Doctor will visit again in the morning - Doug might need another shot. I'm going e-biking - got a lot of nerves I need to burn off.
    Read more