Satellite
  • Day 3

    Queenstown, Zeehan and Strahan

    March 9, 2017 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 16 °C

    Today we toured around ourselves in the black Honda.
    We drove to Gormanston; an old mining town which is now pretty much a collection of old deserted prefab houses. Then we drove to a stunning lookout area called Iron Blow Lookout. Took some great photos of Queenstown mining surrounds.
    We turned around going back through Queenstown to drive first to Zeehan. It has definitely seen better days. There was a large museum there with an entry fee of $25 per adult. Too expensive!
    Next stop Strahan, situated in Macquarie Harbour, would have to be the tourist capital of Tasmania's south west. We detoured to look at an ocean beach about 6km from Strahan. Beautiful.
    In Strahan we visited The People's Park which had a walking track to Hogarth Falls. It was 40 minute round walking trip. Well worth doing. Easy walk with no steep bits at all.
    Next we visited the Information Centre which was super busy with people booking accommodation, boat trips, helicopter flights and asking all things tourist. We paid only $2 to go into a museum attached to the Centre which had displays and information about the area's sad and seemingly violent history from the annihilation of the aboriginal population, the penal settlements on Sarah Island that made Port Arthur look like a luxury holiday Park, the decimation of the Huon Pine forests and the damming of the Lower Gordon River. The one heartening display was of the saving of the Franklin River.
    Upon our return to Queenstown we celebrated our last night here with a counter meal in The Empire Hotel Dining Room.
    Read more